Tuesday 25 August 2009

Victorian Masters IRTT Series #4

Series four already!? Business time again! Same course out at Newstead as we'd used for last years Victorian Masters State Champs. 20km, out and back with the hills starting at 5.6kms. The wind was the strongest we've had at any of the TT series' - so front wheel choice was in question. I did a recon lap of the course and decided to ditch the super fast (and super swervey in a cross wind) Stinger 90 and ride the boat anchor Mavic Carbone clincher. It's a heavier wheel but it also tracks nicely with a side wind.

My nearest rival - John Cain came over for a chat as I was warming up to talk about my ride at the state open TT, I let him know I was satisfied with it but could (and should) have done a little better. Last year at the state titles John obliterated the field on this course - so I'm sure he was fired up to do well again. The outward leg would suit him - but 10kms back into the wind should suit me better.

My ride went to plan. Good pacing and I was feeling good at the turn around. I've recently switched my SRM readout to distance rather than time display so I stop trying to calculate gaps to other riders up the road during the race. It is working well.. John knew he was up on me at the turn as he'd done the calculations on the road! If I knew I was down I may have tried to lift the pace too early and fade to the line. The closer we got to the finish line the more the road turned into the head wind. My last three kms were some of the hardest kms I've done for a while. Less than 1km to go I could see John in the distance crossing the line but didn't know the time split so just dug deep and pushed for the line. 26:59. 1st place, four from four! John in 2nd only 6 seconds down. Next up are the Victorian State Masters TT champs in Wangaratta, nobody is sure if its part of the TT series - but we do know the medals are age groups - and thankfully John isn't Masters 1! :)

No comments: